Your self-assessment tax return is almost due. As the end of the month approaches, the January 31st deadline feels suddenly all too soon. Whether you’re a small business owner, freelancer, or contractor this deadline can be the source of a major headache not to mention a last minute panic.
If that’s the case, we’re here to tell you that it’s still not too late to submit your return online in time. It’s a busy time for everyone, so if you need help and advice with your tax return, then our team of experts at Moulds & Co Accountants are on hand to help.
We’ll ensure that you are submitting the right figures and make sure that you’re not the one individual who tries to claim £4.50 for sausage and chips for 250 days on their expenses – a genuine inclusion from a previous year!
With the deadline so close it’s easy for the panic to set in but it’s always worth remembering that there are legitimate excuses for why you couldn’t file in time. Serious illness or family bereavement, for example, may allow you that little extra breathing space required.
However, HMRC won’t just accept anything. Below is a list of some previous excuses given by small business owners for missing the deadline:
- I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play.
- My business doesn’t really do anything.
- I’m too short to reach the post box.
- I was just too busy – my first maid left, my second maid stole from me, and my third maid was very slow to learn. (It’s a tough life for some).
- I’m not a paperwork orientated person – I always relied on my sister to complete my returns but we have now fallen out.
- I had an argument with my wife and went to Italy for 5 years.
- I had a cold which took a long time to go.
- My boiler had broken and my fingers were too cold to type.
So what’s your best worst excuse? All of the above we rejected by HMRC for obvious reasons but they are just a small part of the roughly 750,000 people who seem to miss their deadlines each year.
To make sure you’re not one of those 750,000 people Moulds & Co Accountants is ready to help you get over the line.
How We Can Help – It’s never too late. At Moulds & Co Accountants we understand the one thing you can’t afford to do is nothing. That’s why our team of professional accountants is ready to help you organise, decipher and submit your return with the correct figures before January 31st. To speak to a member of the team today call 01937 584188.